VueScan Newsletter - September 2022
Hello to all our regular readers and a warm welcome to our new customers.
In this newsletter we are very pleased to update you about two major improvements we have made.
Firstly, after many requests (and a lot of background work) we are delighted to let you know about an additional way to purchase VueScan and secondly (again, with many requests) we have added frame thumbnails in the right hand panel.
As you know, we regularly release updates which are mostly new features, bug fixes, improvements and support for additional scanners and new operating system, so it is unusual for us to announce a major change.
But with over 900,000 customers we receive many requests and the one that has been repeated regularly is the requirement for purchasing a license for occasional usage, so we decided to add this as an option.
We realise that if you are reading this newsletter there is a very high probability that you are already a VueScan user, but many of our new customers hear about us via recommendation from work or friends and family – so we wanted to share this news with you all.
You can read more about this further down - or click here for a link to our Subscription Update blog.
Secondly is the addition of frame thumbnails in the right hand panel. Again, this is something that many customers have requested for a while.
Carry on reading further down for all the details on this exciting new feature.
And as always, please continue to contact us with your product suggestions and comments. We massively appreciate hearing your feedback – it is extremely important to us.
And if you do use Facebook, please continue to add reviews for us. As a small company it really helps us – so, once again, thank you. (And thank you for telling your friends and colleagues about us.)
Remember you can contact us for technical support (we need a Problem Report) and any general enquiries, suggestions or feedback here
We look forward to hearing from you.
Asking for help: Share your Preview Data with us
We just released VueScan 9.7.93 which contains a new feature that allows you to optionally share preview data with us. After you select this option in the Prefs tab, every time you do a Preview, it will send a low resolution copy of your preview to us.
We hope that many of you will turn this on to allow us to improve our image processing algorithms. Specifically, we are working on automatic cropping of transperencies (film & slides) and photos and the more data we have of different types of things the better we can make that algorithm.
Frame Thumbnails in VueScan
VueScan 9.7.92 contains a new feature that customers have been requesting for quite some time. Frame thumbnails allow you to see the contents of different frames in the right hand panel that is commonly used for PDFs.
For all the information on this feature please read here
Introducing VueScan Subscription Option
VueScan has been helping people scan documents, photos, film and more for over two decades. We’re excited to announce a new way to buy VueScan. For 24 years, we’ve been selling VueScan as a one-time payment but now we have added a new option.
You can now purchase VueScan as a subscription in addition to the existing one-off payment options. The subscription gives you the latest version of VueScan for as long as you keep your subscription active, and you get free updates and technical support for as long as your subscription is active. The subscription is available for both the Standard Edition and the Professional Edition of VueScan.
You can read more about the new subscription offering here
Since the last newsletter, we’ve released VueScan 9.7.93; 9.7.92; 9.7.91; 9.7.90, 9.7.89, 9.7.88, 9.7.87, 9.7.86, 9.7.85, 9.7.84, 9.7.83, 9.7.82 and 9.7.81.
What’s new in version 9.7.93
- Fixed sending email on Windows 10 and Windows 11
- Fixed problems with page thumbnails
- Added ‘Prefs | Send preview data’ option
- Turned off by default
- Sends each preview image to hamrick.com to help improve VueScan
- We’re working on improving several things using these images, especially cropping
- Works on Standard and Professional Editions
- Works in background, doesn’t slow down scanning
What’s new in version 9.7.92
- Added ‘Prefs | Type of page thumbnails’
- Works on Standard and Professional Editions
- Can choose ‘Off’, ‘Auto’, ‘PDF file’, ‘TIFF file’, ‘JPEG file’ and ‘Cropped area’
- Displays thumbnails of multi-page PDF, TIFF and JPEG files
- Displays a thumbnail for each frame in ‘Cropped area’ if multiple frames
- When ‘Auto’ is chosen, shows the thumbnails for the most recent file or scan
- Clicking a ‘Cropped area’ thumbnail also sets ‘Input | Frame number’
- A right-click on a thumbnail lets you choose options
- After clicking a thumbnail, pressing Space brings up a QuickView of the thumbnail
What’s new in version 9.7.91
- Added support for 15 new Brother scanners
- Brother ADS-1190
- Brother ADS-2200e
- Brother ADS-2700We
- Brother ADS-3100
- Brother ADS-3300W
- Brother ADS-4100
- Brother ADS-4300N
- Brother ADS-4500W
- Brother ADS-4700W
- Brother ADS-4900W
- Brother DCP-7090DW
- Brother DCP-7190DW
- Brother MFC-B7710DN
- Brother MFC-L2759DW
- Brother MFC-L5705DW
- Added duplex scanning for Samsung SCX-8230 and Samsung SCX-8240
- Fixed problem with some Canon WIA scanner drivers on Windows
What’s new in version 9.7.90
- Added support for buying VueScan with a monthly subscription
- Added support for 10 new Canon MFP’s
- Canon TS3500
- Canon TS3520
- Canon TS3522
- Canon TS3530
- Canon TS5420
- Canon TS5430
- Canon TS7530
- Canon TS8530
- Canon XK100
- Canon XK500
What’s new in version 9.7.89
- Added support for 8 Fujitsu document scanners
- Fujitsu fi-8150
- Fujitsu fi-8150U
- Fujitsu fi-8170
- Fujitsu fi-8190
- Fujitsu fi-8250
- Fujitsu fi-8250U
- Fujitsu fi-8270
- Fujitsu fi-8290
- Fixed problem with some Plustek OpticFilm scanners
- Fixed problem with some Avision and Minolta scanners
- Fixed problem with some Canon DR-series scanners and auto media size
- Fixed problem with Epson FF-680W
- Fixed problem with Plustek OpticFilm 8300i
- Fixed problem scanning APS film on Microtek scanners
What’s new in version 9.7.88
- Improved document feeder (ADF) auto media size and auto skew
- Improves batch scanning of photos and receipts
- Improves batch scanning of papers with different sizes
- Supports most Fujitsu document scanners
- Supports 177 Epson scanners with a fast document feeder
- Supports Epson FastFoto scanners (FF-series)
- Improves when ‘Input | Media size’ is set to ‘Auto’
- Improves when ‘Input | Auto skew’ is set
- Works at high speed, uses hardware inside scanner
What’s new in version 9.7.87
- Added support for 145 HP scanners
What’s new in version 9.7.86
- Added support for 52 Epson scanners
What’s new in version 9.7.85
- Fixed problem with watermarks in Basic Edition
- Fixed problem with some AirPrint/Scan scanners
- Fixed problem with some models of Plustek OpticPro A320E
- Optimized eject direction of film strips on some PIE/Reflecta scanners
- Fixed problem with duplex scanning on Canon P-208 scanners
- Fixed problem with some Fujitsu document scanners
What’s new in version 9.7.84
- Enabled Document Feeders (ADF) with Standard Edition
- Enabled extra-long page scans with some Epson Document Feeders
- Added support for the Basic Edition
What’s new in version 9.7.83
- Added support for 20 new Brother scanners
- Fixed occasional problem with multi-page PDF scans
- Fixed problem with older PIE scanners using Firewire
- Faster scans with PIE PrimeFilm XE at 5000 dpi
What’s new in version 9.7.82
- Added support for 11 new Brother scanners
- Brother DCP-J1050DW
- Brother DCP-J1140DW
- Brother DCP-J526N
- Brother DCP-J914N
- Brother DCP-J926N
- Brother MFC-J1010DW
- Brother MFC-J1012DW
- Brother MFC-J1170DW
- Brother MFC-J739DN
- Brother MFC-J904N
- Brother MFC-J939DN
- Added support for Canon D550
- Added support for Canon D570
- Added support for Epson ST-C2100
- Added support for Epson ST-C4100
What’s new in version 9.7.81
- Faster and sharper zooming and scrolling of ‘Overview’ and ‘Cropped area’
- Hold Control key (Command key on Mac) to zoom with scroll wheel
- Scroll up and down with scroll wheel
- Hold Shift key on Windows and Linux to scroll left/right with scroll wheel
- Use macOS trackpad or mouse to scroll up/down/left/right
- Use macOS Pinch gesture on trackpad to zoom in and out
- Sharper display of splash screen and ‘Help | About’ on high-DPI displays
- Fixed a few problems with occasional crashes
VueScan in the press
VueScan regularly appears in various articles – here is a review of the Epson FF-680W where VueScan is favourably compared to Epson’s software.
Please let us know if you come across VueScan!
We’re very happy to introduce Stan! Stan is 84 years old and lives in Ontario, Canada. Stan has been using VueScan for many years and regularly sends us some of his fantastic photos – many of his beautiful local scenery. I thought it would be nice to share them with everyone.
This is from a visit to Niagara Falls. Stan says “It was taken ‘hand-held’ at the top of the Skyline Tower - with the lens of my D500 poking through the safety mesh.” The other one is from his local park.
Thank you Stan and please continue to send them to us
We receive many kind comments from our customers, and we appreciate it very much. We reply to all your emails so please continue to send them in.
“Thank you for the news, Beverley. I’ve said it before, but I’ll say it again, the support you give to your customers is a model that all companies would do well to emulate. It is superb and very much appreciated. Well done to all the team! And thanks again.”
– Jim A – USA